So you’re having a pizza craving. You are thinking about making pizza at home, but gosh, that sounds like a pain in the butt! Here’s a secret though, it doesn’t have to be! By buying a pre-made crust and adding your own toppings, you can make a delicious and infinitely healthier-than-takeout pizza masterpiece, easy!
Why is homemade healthier?
- Avoid additives and fake ingredients
- Eliminate added sugars
- Choose responsibly sourced, humane, and more nutritious cheeses and meats
- Load up on veggies, or fruits if that’s your thing!
- 1 8″ whole wheat crust -> look for organic, no added sugars, or get fancy and make my Momma’s Homemade Pizza Dough recipe (see below)
- 1 can organic tomato sauce (again, choose no sugar added)
- 1 8oz block organic, pasture-raised/grass-fed mozzarella cheese
- organic, pasture-raised/grass-fed ricotta cheese (optional)
- fresh veggies and herbs! -> I like basil, tomato, garlic, olives (seen below), and also bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach, arugula, etc. If fruit floats your boat (where are my pineapple lovers?) use it too!
- meat (optional) -> look for organic, responsibly/humanely raised (I used 1 link of grass-fed sausage from Whole Foods) . . . ground beef and italian chicken sausage are great options too
Pre-heat oven according to crust packaging, or to 350 degrees for the homemade crust. Remove crust from packaging and place on pan (if you’re bold you can bake it without a pan, though it’s messy and I wouldn’t recommend it). Top with tomato sauce (as desired, you probably won’t use the entire can). In food processor (or by hand with a grater), shred mozzarella, then sprinkle evenly to cover crust. Slice veggies and herbs as desired, and place evenly over pizza. Add dollops of ricotta (1-2 per slice or as desired), and finally, top evenly with uncooked meat. Bake for roughly 20-30 minutes, or until cheese has melted and edges of crust start to brown.
Remove from oven, let cool slightly, slice and enjoy!
**As I mentioned before, if you are looking for a homemade crust recipe, here is my fav! It’s my mother’s recipe (thanks mom!) and brings me back to my childhood 🙂 **
Momma’s Homemade Pizza Dough
Ingredients (makes 1 crust):
- 1/2 packet yeast (I’ve been experimenting with using the whole packet)
- 1/4 c + 1/2 c water
- 1/8 c olive oil
- dash of salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 c whole wheat flour
Place yeast in large bowl, add 1/4 c warm water. Mix until yeast dissolves. Add oil, salt and pepper, and additional water. Mix in 1 cup of flour, then add in the 2nd cup, mixing as you go. To get the final bit of flour added, you may have to knead the dough. Knead until well combined, then cover dough and let rise until double (I’m inpatient and never let my dough rise enough, subsequently I usually have a very thin, dense crust). After dough has risen, punch down, and place on a flat, clean surface sprinkled with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle roughly the size of your pizza pan. Meanwhile, lightly grease (with leftover olive oil or cooking spray) pizza pan, and then transfer dough to drape over pan. Roll up edges to shape crust.